Friday, November 30, 2007

Flashback: Cinque Terre

From Cinque Terre/...


While discussing travelling around Europe with friends at lunch today, someone mentioned the Cinque Terre, and what a wonderful place it is. I mentioned, yeah, I've got links to some pictures of it on my blog. Well I thought I'd written something...

Back in early July I went and met up with some friends of mine from Seattle in the Cinque Terre. It's a wonderful place, with great food. We were staying in a small town just north of the Cinque Terre proper. It's a bit cheaper that way, and a lot less touristy. That said, the proper Cinque Terre is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. There are many hiking trails in the area, and train service between the small villages on the Cinque Terre is quite good, even if the trains don't quite come up to the standards of those here in Switzerland.

Levanto, a town just north of the Cinque Terre is also an interesting place to visit. There is a small but wonderful public market to be found here.

I spent a couple of hours in Sestri Levante on my way back whilst waiting for the Cisalpino train. I found Sestri quite tourisity, and not quite as nice as the other places I was at.

If you do go to the Cinque Terre, be sure to try restaurant Ciak
in Monterosso. Their seafood ravioli (pictured below, and looked even better when it was brought out.) is wonderful.
From Cinque Terre/...

2 comments:

Becky said...

Sounds like a must-see place! My mouth is watering just from the picture -- I'm sure the food is to die for. Thanks for the great info!

Greg said...

The food is wonderful. It's good that the hiking is pretty good there too; it gives you a chance to burn off a bit of your meal.

BTW, don't miss out on the lemon gelato, which is made from fresh local lemons.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.